What age do these breeds start to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FRlEDeggs, Sep 10, 2010.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    At what age do Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and Cuckoo Marans typically start to lay at? [​IMG]

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    5 and 1/2 to 6 months

3. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    That's a long time away~ [​IMG]
    Guess I'll just have to keep waiting... [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a BO start laying last week at 21 weeks but she has not become a daily layer...still waiting on the other 5 [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have a BO and a Cuckoo Marans as well. Cricket, my Marans, was the 1st to lay, just before she turned 4 months old. they are now 5 months old and my BO is still not laying. outta my 5 girls, only Cricket and Ginger (one of my EE) is laying. and Gingers eggs are getting bigger and actually are considered "small" on my egg scale that i have in my kitchen. Crickets eggs are STILL not registering any weight at all and remain "peewee" eggs. but they sure are a pretty color! she also use to have a strange coating on her 1st egg that she would lay AFTER she took a couple days off from egg laying....it would make the egg appear light brown...but underneath it was that dark brown. but now, she can take a day or 2 off and then when she lays again, it's a normal dark brown egg....and i'm glad. my EE is laying a pretty green egg. i wish my other EE would lay! she's showing all the signs, but she's taking her sweet time. my BO is squatting....but she still looks kinda pale.

6. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Out of 20 BO's I have 2 laying this week at 22 weeks old. There are some that look mature and many that don't..weird since they are all the same age. Just depends on the individual bird I guess! My Black Australorps have been squatting for a couple weeks and should be laying soon (if not already!) at 22 weeks also.

7. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Cool! Thanks for sharing your stories! [​IMG]

8. Deedrahsue

Deedrahsue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Fresno, TX
    My buff Orpingtons just turned 6 months they were delivered on Feb 9th, we had prayed they'd be laying by now, I am in Texas I wonder if its the heat, they are always outside plenty of water and laying pellets! Husband and I are so frustrated. LOL I have three others from my earlier batch those girls are laying, guess I'm just being impatient? 6 months seems like enough time, anyone have any suggestions?

9. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Chickens usually start laying at 18-24 weeks. I know that buff orpingtons start late. Good Luck!

10. Deedrahsue

Deedrahsue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Fresno, TX
    We counted by the calendar we counted 26 weeks, oh well guess it's any day now then.[​IMG] Thanks for the input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by