what age do these Silkie chickens look like?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MrViskers, Dec 18, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    i bought these from the market and the seller told me they were 5 months old and should start laying in a few weeks but they seem to small and are still chirping i think they are bantam but even if they were they are still small my 7 week old EE chicks are almost the same size as them

[​IMG]
    Untitled by cookecola, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Untitled by cookecola, on Flickr

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, silkies are bantam. They look pretty grown to me, but if they're still chirping they may be a bit younger . . . more like four months or so . . . do their chirps sound kind of hoarse, like they're changing?

3. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    ICallMyselfCherie' :

Well, silkies are bantam. They look pretty grown to me, but if they're still chirping they may be a bit younger . . . more like four months or so . . . do their chirps sound kind of hoarse, like they're changing?

It sounds a bit off and a bit rough compared to my 7 week old EE chicks also they are really light weight my guess is 400-500 grams.​

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yes they look about five months old [​IMG]

5. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    It takes silkies awhile longer to mature than other breeds. Should start laying around 8 to 9 months though. Very pretty birds you have [​IMG]

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    riane'smimi :

It takes silkies awhile longer to mature than other breeds. Should start laying around 8 to 9 months though. Very pretty birds you have [​IMG]

my partridge silkie started around 5 1/2 months. then again, she was a hatchery silkie [​IMG] my breeder silkie was 6-7 months​

7. SilkieAddicts

SilkieAddicts Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    I have silkies and those do not look 5 months old to me. Maybe 3 months or so.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

To me I'd venture a guess that they look more like three and a half, or four months old. [​IMG] But I'm guessing.

Silkies can take a long time to lay. I have waited seven months.

Edited- I agree with silkieaddicts...I had typed three to four months and then lost my nerve - put three and a half.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  9. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Quote:my partridge silkie started around 5 1/2 months. then again, she was a hatchery silkie [​IMG] my breeder silkie was 6-7 months

Mine on average start around 8 months. I have two out there that are alittle over 9 months old and still waiting on my first egg from them .I wish they would start laying here sooner LOL .

10. riane'smimi

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Quote:x2 .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by