what age do they honk?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, May 12, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    what age do goslings start to honk? when do they begin to lay eggs? [​IMG]

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My little WC boy is just over 2weeks old and is starting to make some little honk-ish noises. he usually does it when he's laying in my lap..almost like a cat's purr, it's strange but soo adorable.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My Toulouse started laying at 8 months old. My Africans were honking at full volume by 3 months old.

4. spamee34

spamee34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    East Texas
    I have two white chinese and one embden and they are almost 5 mos and have been honking about a month just when they see me or when they get excited tho other than that I don't hear them honking just kinda whistling .

5. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    My Sebs are a month old and no honk yet.... [​IMG] Of coarse they are still pretty young... [​IMG]

6. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    My WC started honking around 4 months, my Toulouse around 5 or 6. The WC were hatched in August and started laying in March, so they were 8 months.

7. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    I can't wait till mine honk either... I have a 5-6 week old roman and a buff. He, the roman has been hissing at the dogs for a couple of weeks, maybe one week? But that honk will be fun! j

8. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    My little gander began honking (and scaring himself) when he was about three months old. He would be cheeping along and suddenly, a screechy honk would come out and he'd startle himself [​IMG]

My female does not honk. She almost quacks. It's a very low pitched and quieter (not by much) voice.

9. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    OMG, LOFL, I can totally see the little geese scaring themselves!! Lordie, they are scared of e/thing else. Today my roman boy started 'going after' the dog when the dog would turn around, all the time hissing. He's so funny b/c there is no way he would do that if the dog was facing him, then he acts sooo proud, like he ran the dog off. Right now it's raining and thundering and it hasn't done this since they have been born. I keep looking out the window to see how they feel about it all - probably scared! They must have gone to their 'house' b/c I don't see them anywhere. Yeah, we needed rain so badly, esp. to wash the poop off of the porches. Also last night we killed 2 snakes at the house and they bleed all over the porch-thanks DH. I'm thinking the snakes were looking for the chickens they smelled///. Can't wait to hear the honk - what'll they do when they see a snake? jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by