what age do they start laying?

I've always been told any where between 18 & 20 wks. and that depends on the breed. I'd have my nesting boxes open and waiting!!
smile.png

I find that each hen is an individual when it comes to laying. Out of a flock of ten large fowl dual purpose pullets, I usually get my first egg somewhere around 18 to 20 weeks. By around 23 weeks, maybe half are laying. Most are usually laying by 27 to 28 weeks, but some will wait months longer than that.

Breed does enter into the picture some and I am not familiar with Pekings. I suspect they are not that different from my dual purpsoe when it comes to egg laying, based on what those ladies said. With you only having two, you might get an egg fairly soon or the first egg might be months away. It depends which two of the ten you got.

We had seven pullets last year of various breeds. Ranged from 22 to 28 weeks for them to all be laying. Oddly it was a Red Sex link and Production Red that were last. It's an anxious wait for your first egg, beating bushes looking for a clutch when your nesting boxes are still empty.

Back
Top Bottom