what age do they start to lay

StrayMagnet

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
W. Georgia
What age do chick's start to lay
the baby chicks that the stray hen had under our porch are 7 months old now.. they hatched around the 9/10 of july... Momma hen has started to lay again. (well im pretty sure it's her.. only 1 egg in the coop today. so when shoudl I expect the other 4 girls to start to lay? what age dose the rooster mature to mate? so I can get a round about estmate on when to "think" the eggs coudl be fertil ? as I would love to get a bator n hatch some chicks.. but I want to be sure they are fertil.

thnks

The average is 20 week of age, which is five months old, and I would think at seven months old, they might be laying already. I would say once you see a rooster mating, then he's fertile. Sometimes it takes a bit of practice before those eggs will be fertile.
wink.png

I'd suggest some basic reading on the BYC home page. There's lots of Basic 101 stuff there to read.

The chicks, now pullets, and only those that are pullets, of course, will be laying any day. They may already be laying, if you do not have them cooped or in a run. They'll lay out in the bushes, under a junk pile, most anywhere they feel secure. As the days are getting longer and spring approaches, they'll all enter into a prime laying season.

The cockerels will begin to think about mating at this age as well. They usually aren't too successful until they around 10 months of age, but that doesn't stop them from practicing.
lol.png

well I not let them free range in a while as we have had a problem with a neiborhood pack of dogs getting loose. and I was afraid they'd kill my chickens.. but I searched the pen good and only eggs I found are the 3 I have. 2 from yesterday.. wich Im htinking area from momma hen.. and one was a tuesday egg.. then one from yesterday.. then I got one today....they will be 7 months old on the 9/10 of feb. I hope to buy a good flashlight.. to candle these eggs I have.. .. just currious. rite now we just want consumption eggs but When it warms up more I do want to try my hand at hatching.

would there be somethign wrong if now that they are aproaching 7 months that the 4 "chicks" are not hatching, they are smaller in size then their momma.. only the Dominant rooster in the bunch. (i have 2 roos) is the size of momma hen. . I will have to look at the basic's 101 later.

I'd suggest some basic reading on the BYC home page. There's lots of Basic 101 stuff there to read.

The chicks, now pullets, and only those that are pullets, of course, will be laying any day. They may already be laying, if you do not have them cooped or in a run. They'll lay out in the bushes, under a junk pile, most anywhere they feel secure. As the days are getting longer and spring approaches, they'll all enter into a prime laying season.

The cockerels will begin to think about mating at this age as well. They usually aren't too successful until they around 10 months of age, but that doesn't stop them from practicing.
lol.png

OH had to add... when I showed the children our eggs that I collected yesterday.. my son (14 yrs old) had a brain fart n ask me when the rooster's will start to lay their eggs. HAHAHAHAAHAH... I just looked at him n said "Serriously?". that is when it dawn on him.. DOH!!!!!! rooster don't lay eggs HAHAHAAH. well I hope my girls are just late bloomers.

Back
Top Bottom