1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do you allow a hen to sit on her eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maggiePI, Apr 25, 2007.

1. maggiePI

maggiePI Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    S. Oregon
    I read somewhere on here that you should not hatch pullet eggs because...? What age do you allow a hen to sit on her eggs?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wait for about 3 months after point of lay to make sure the pullet eggs are large enough for a healthy growing developing chick. Your pullets are unlikley to sit on eggs either unless they are broody. If you just leave all eggs in the nest, chances are, they will just keep on collecting.

A hen will have to want to set before she willl sit on eggs, and if she wants to set, she will set on nothing even. Sometimes eggs in the nest will help encourage setting but not necessilarly.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Being broody is brought on by hormonal change. Some breeds have had broody tendencies bred out of them and may never become broody.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    maggiePI, Mother Nature has a wonderful way to get things right on the first try, usually. Silkie is right about waiting for mature pullet eggs. Most of the timing is right naturally, however exceptions always exist and then there is no hatch. No real loss.

bigzio

5. maggiePI

maggiePI Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    S. Oregon
    Thanks for all the info. My game hens have been hiding in dark places when free in the yard making me think they may be contemplating a hidey spot for eggs. My MaggiePI (first game hen) used to do that and I wouldn't see her for a while then find her on a pile of eggs. [​IMG] I think I will make some of those 5 gallon bucket nests for the girls so if they start being broody I can carry them away to a safe place. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by