What age do YOU let your bantams out to free range?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chippysmom327, Jul 25, 2013.

1. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Songster

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I've heard all different kinds of ages to let standard size chickens out to free range, but what age do YOU let your bantams out to free range?

I have two eight week olds and they seem fine. The older hen (yes, I only have one. Predators [​IMG]) totally ignores them. I didn't attempt to leave them in the coop all night with her, because it's been too cold for them at night. But tonight will be warmer.

They're both roos (I'm getting rid of one soon and getting another hen) if that matters. They don't crow yet.

So even though that jumped all around:

1.)What age do you let your bantams free range?
    2.)Would you leave your 8 week old bantams in with a full-grown hen overnight? They have a sectioned off part they can escape to if she's being mean.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    yes you can leave them in the coop with her my 5 week olds were fine with 6 grown hens and 1 roo. i would wait until they are full grown that goes for any chicken. the smaller the more likely they are to be eaten. i would also leave your hen in with them so they become a flock.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Songster

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Thanks! I came home a bit after dark today, and they were all in the coop. The babies were in their own little penned off section where the big hen can't hurt them.

They just hide under bushes all day when they free range. They've been fine the last 3 days. I don't think the older hen wants to admit it, but the chicks are growing on her. I caught her scratching with them under a big bush.

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by