what age do you start free ranging?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by miron28, Oct 19, 2008.

1. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    ok i am about to get some hen atwhat age do people start free ranging there chickens? [​IMG]

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have soome chicks that are three days old and they free range with mama hen. Just need to help then in at night, they can't get in the coop by themselves.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I started letting mine loose in the yard at about 2 weeks, with constant supervision. As they got older they learned to get out of the fence and I learned that I didn't need to supervise them every minute of every day.
    Now at 6 months old, I check em about once a hour. They roam everywhere, from about 9 AM until dusk.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  4. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    We started letting them out with supervision @ 3wk, for an hour at a time. Then increased time and lessened supervision until they knew where everything was.

5. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    I started mine at about 4 weeks. Always watching.
    A chicken hawk almost got dinner when I had them out at 6 weeks. Got there in the nick of time. 10 seconds later would have been too late. Even though they are big now, I still check on them every half hour or so.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
  7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My first chickens had to wait A LONG time before I finally let them outside without being there.
    Must have been 9 months old or so - till that point they had their run.
    Others have gone out earlier and earlier - but now of course there is a FLOCK so they tend to stick around. I've had babies with moms outside at 3 days old, but momma is there watching when I'm not.

I hatched some little ones, and they went out with the flock at 7 weeks.

My ducks went out at 3 weeks old to join the chickens.

8. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I start putting them out at a week but in an enclosed covered area and with no older pullets with them.
    They could run around and scratch etc. but I didn't have to keep watch over them.
    I do that until they are old enough to handle themselves and too big to fit through any holes in the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by