1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what age do you stop feeding crumble ? what do you do you after ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by henlady777, May 10, 2016.

1. henlady777

henlady777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    MA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feed them chick starter/grower until they start to lay eggs... Once they start laying, you can continue using starter/grower with a side of oyster shells, switch to an 'all flock' with a side of oyster shells or switch to a layer feed, and even with the layer feed I recommend a side of oyster shells...

1 person likes this.
  3. henlady777

henlady777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    MA
    can they have treats they are 5 weeks

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Unmedicated chick starter. Or if you want the medicated continue with that. It doesn't really matter if your only feeding chicks and adolescents. You stop the medicated usually around 8 weeks of age. I don't even use it. Unmedicated is about a dollar cheaper. There is also a grower blend but that usually cost the same and is simply less protein. I'd stick with the starter feed as 18-20% protein is a good mix for growing birds. The gig about the medicated is you don't feed it to layers because your eating the eggs. Other than that it doesn't really mater. So if you can't find unmedicated at your local store then put them on grower when they are late teens (in weeks) of age then change to layer when that bag runs out.

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Yep. Just give them chick grit too and be mindful not to feed them too many treats (10% of diet is maximum) or you can unbalance their nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by