What age does a roo become fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantamman13, Nov 11, 2008.

1. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I have heard about the time they start crowing but was unsure if this is a good indicator. I have a young Marans roo that I am wanting to put with my hens so I can get some eggs to incubate but don't want to waste my time till I am reasonably sure he's getting the job done. [​IMG]

2. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    That can't be true, I have four less than three month old roosters that are crowing...they don't even look big enough to reach one of my hens...I guess it depends on the breed because mine are Barred Rock and the others are Cochin/Isabrown mix and they are crowing for the last week now.

3. bantamman13

May 27, 2008
    Thanks leasmom for the reply, is there no one out there with a good indicator for this?

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I have been wondering the same thing. I hope someone wanders by that can answer you!

5. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I had a 13 week light brahma roo that was mating with my hens. He was the only roo and the eggs were fertile.

6. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. My BR roo is six months old and has been crowing for a long time. He has started mating with the hens last week(that I know of). That is when they started laying. But I have no idea if he has knocked them up or what.

7. bantamman13

May 27, 2008
    Funny never thought of a chicken being knocked up.lol. Thanks for the posts evidently there is no clear way to tell guess I will just have to cross my fingers.

8. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    My roosters were all hatched april 13th, I put eggs 10 eggs in bator and 9 hatched 2 weeks ago. so they were fertile. If I can figure this out right and take the 3 weeks they were in the bator and 2 weeks the chicks have been hatched is 5 weeks, I think that made them 23-24 weeks. Give or take a week or 2. Hope this helps. I know these roosters are the ones who did the deed cause I have no other roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by