1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age for free choice grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by QuiltinChick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. QuiltinChick

QuiltinChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Iowa
    I've searched the forums and can't seem to find the answer.

When can I offer grit to our chicks on a free choice basis? Our chicks are currently 4 weeks old and we have been sprinkling grit on their food. We just built a new wall hanging feeder and have an area to offer oyster shell and grit in their own bins. We know we don't offer them oyster shells until they are ready to start laying, but when can we give the grit as free choice?

Will they go crazy and just eat all of the grit and not eat their food or are they old enough to self regulate?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I definitely wouldn't be putting it on their food. Offering it free choice is so they can eat what they need and only what they need..when it is disguised in food, they may ingest more than they actually need.

Chickens will not "fill up on" grit and then not eat their food. What I have seen is birds that have been deprived of grit will really hit it hard when you first put it out but then will only partake on occasion thereafter. They really are self-regulating on grit so there shouldn't be any worries....just put it out free choice and let nature happen.

3. QuiltinChick

QuiltinChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Iowa
    THANKS!!! I thought that I had read to keep it to a minimal at first and kind of just kind of sprinkle it on their food as if you were putting salt on your own food.

I guess we will put some grit in our new feeder and let them self regulate!!!

THANKS!!!

4. beaglex3

beaglex3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    B'field, IL
    the feed store was out of chick grit so i bought canary grit at the pet store. is that ok to use on little chicks?
    also, what kinds of "treats" can week old chick have to help me socialize them more to us? they are so skittish and i am worried they will not be people friendly as they get older if i can't get them used to being close to me now.

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

6. beaglex3

beaglex3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    B'field, IL
    thank you so much! i'll check the canary grit box to see if it has calcium. and i'll try reaching to them sideways instead of overhead. they are all doing well except for our little roo, who seems to be suffering from failure to thrive. i got a vitamin/electrolytes mix to add to the water and hope it helps. the pullets have grown and are all over the brooder and he still looks like a day old chick. he can barely walk and falls over a lot. it's like his little legs can't even hold him up. i'll check out the treat chart and learn from that. thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by