what age for rooster signs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Turkeyrun, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi

We have four eight week old welsumers. Two are larger, have combs and tail feathers that are much more developed, are they likely to be roosters. How old do they have to be to tell if they are roosters? We are hoping for lots of eggs so hope we have all ladies.

2. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have 8 week old Welsummers too... maybe they are related LOL.. I have one Rooster he looks a lot different from the hens, his comb is bright red and much larger than the rest of the hens. His tail is higher and longer, his tail feathers also are comming in a very dark green and shimmer in the sun. My hens' combs are hardly visable and yellow in color....

I updated my profile photo for you.. the chicken in the front is Brewster our rooster... .. I this picture was taken a few weeks back... even back then you could see the difference in his comb color

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  3. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm not sure if you are talking about turkeys or chickens but concerning chickens, if they tend to be larger and more active, like climbing on stuff, running around in the incubator or pen more, they might be roosters. Also, if you would try discerning by the waddles and comb some breeds, especially mixed breeds will give you an inaccurate prediction on what they might be. In my opinion chickens are about the hardest creature to sex, but i guess the dead give away is the crowing, which they do about around 10-12 weeks old, although i may be mistaken. in any case I hope things turn out for the better.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

it sounds to me that you got it right by now the combs should be red and the waddles to and the roos will be a little larger than the hens you can usually tell by looking about 5 or 6 wks at the head and tails

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by