1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age hens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrenchFarm, May 27, 2008.

1. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm Goats confuse them

May 22, 2008
    Michigan
    At what age do hens usually start laying eggs? We got our 25 Isa browns as little chicks on April 15. They've grown a lot, but we're expecting it to be several more months before they start contributing to our breakfast. - Stephanie

2. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    I have heard 10-12 weeks most commonly but I dont know if that is correct. I got some on Easter weekend and no eggs yet [​IMG]

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Typically it's around 17 wks. Mine didn't start laying till 25 wks. old though. I would plan on 20 to be safe.

4. John01

John01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Will they give any kind of signs (actions, behavior, demeanor, etc...) that they are about to start laying?

5. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Usually a couple weeks before or maybe even 3 you may see the combs getting really red. They also sometimes get noisier. I don't have those breeds though, but I don't think it will differ too much. The combs/waddles are a big clue you are close.

1 person likes this.
  6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Typically they start laying around 18 - 22 weeks old, but it depends on the breed, environment & what they are being fed. I think my flock started laying at around 20 weeks last yr. Gosh~ it seemed like waiting forever.

The signs that I saw was them doing the submissive squat about 2 weeks before they started to lay.

I know some BYC member's chickens didn't start laying until way later than the typical 18 - 22 weeks.

7. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Oh yea, I forgot about the combs & waddle part.

I think mine got nosier after they started to lay, but can't remember now. I just know how sweet they would squat and let you pick them up & pet them.

8. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Smitty's Farm :

I think mine got nosier after they started to lay, but can't remember now. I just know how sweet they would squat and let you pick them up & pet them.

I forgot about the "squat".

When you go to pet them, they kind of squat down, it is obvious.​

9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My favorite rule of thumb is 20 weeks. Some may be a little sooner and some a little later....however most will start around 20 weeks, so I wouldn't worry a little soon or late.

bigzio

10. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il

I forgot about the "squat".

When you go to pet them, they kind of squat down, it is obvious.

Well, between the 2 of us we pretty much covered all the signs.

Oh yea, I just remember another one ........... Don't forget to check the vent! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by