1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age is best to introduce ducklings to adult flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by barnyard betty, Oct 18, 2013.

1. barnyard betty

barnyard betty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Hello, I have ducklings that are about 4-5 five weeks old and am wondering if they are old enough to be let out with the adults.

They are almost completely feathered out, still some fuzz on their backs, so do you think they will be ok during the cold nights outside yet, or wait longer? They currently go outside during the day and come inside at night. They would be in a coop with the adults, but it is not heated and it has been getting down in the 30's to 40's at night.

And also, are they old enough (big enough) to be introduced into the flock and be able to defend themselves ok if any of the adults get pushy (I don't think they would hurt them but you never know) Any tips on helping them smoothly transition into the adult population?

And lastly...when they are able to join the flock, what is the best way to teach them to go into the coop at night like the adult ducks do? I'm hoping to not have to chase them in there each night as we have a very large yard lol [​IMG]
    Thanks!!

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Ok. I think usually the young ones just do as the older ones do. So you might not have to teach your young ones to go in, the Olders likely will. But that would depend on the young ones assimilating into the flock. Same thing about wondering if they will all be able to huddle together for warmth. New additions to the flock, That takes time, I think. To start, I guess I would try a side by side but not together for few days, see how that goes. Then take your mildest female, add her to the group of young ones. Supervise, make sure there is no aggression. If that goes well and you have more mild ones besides her, then try again with a new one. Always a duck, not a drake, because the drakes are the ones iME that might get violent. And you don't want any injuries. Any more flock details that you can share might help the community help you out. HTH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by