What age is best to sex barnyard mix chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Emptywagon2, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I have 11 barnyard mix chicks that were hatch 1-21/24-12. I need to sex them as soon as possible. What would be the best age to do this?

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It depends on the breeds involved. Some, like barred birds, can be pretty accurately sexed very early on. If you had a red roo over barred hens, you already have sex links. Otherwise it depends on the luck of the draw with genetics - some will sprout very red combs pretty early, while others will surprise you. No way to tell for sure with most chicks (especially orps, brahmas, cochins) until 12-14 weeks when saddle and hackle feathers start coming in.

3. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    They came from a mix of a Black Sex Link rooster over Red Sex Link hens, a white EE, & a Nankin mix banty hen. This is my "learner" flock. I want to learn as much about keeping chickens with them & then get some full breeds to raise chicks from. All my chickens have single combs with the Roo & RSL hens having huge comb and wattles.

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Yeah, you'll very likely have to wait several weeks with that kind of mix, since you started with mostly mixed breeds to begin with! There's no telling what you'll get. If you keep this thread updated with pictures of chicks you're suspicious about, we may be able to help you out as they grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by