What age is the youngest chicken you know of that laid her 1st egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShaggysGirl, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Just wondering what is the youngest you have heard of one laying.
    Mine are almost 15 weeks and several of the girls are getting very red on the comb area.... so I'm thinking they may be getting close [​IMG] They also are looking at and in the nest boxes for the first time. I even found like a swirl nest looking pile of hay in the corner. Are these all good signs?

2. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I have a 21 week old RIR that has laid 3 eggs 3 days in a row .. they are tiny ! I thought I had found my first fart eggs , then I watched her lay one today . My other RIR's are 26 weeks and JUST started laying yesterday ....she is the youngets of my flock so she was not even on my radar .

Sounds like you are getting close .. mine did "play" in the next for a few weeks before they actually layed.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had quite a few of last 'falls' bantams start laying this 'spring' (Jan. and Feb.) when they were about 16-18 weeks old. [​IMG] Guess they wanted a head-start on brooding [​IMG]

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    My little cochin Sweet pea, layed her first egg
    at 4/12 months.and it was a medium size then as she got older they seem to be larger, now the other cochin 6 months old is laying these large eggs I cant figure it out, but, she has been seen dating a handsome Standard buff Orp. and Iam going to try to have her hatch a few of her eggs.they have all been double yokers.

5. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Quote:Can you hatch a double one? Will there be two chicks?

6. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I raised some fog horn leg horns for my neighbor and just after she took them home one laid her first eg at 11 weeks yes that is eleven weeks.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Wow 11 weeks [​IMG]

My red stars were the first to start here at 17 weeks.

Btw I love the picture of your Aussie. My son has a red merle and he is sooo smart. It reminds me of having a really smart child, gratifying but scary!

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have never tryed to hatch a double yoker.
    but I will see what tomorrow brings and as I have the bator up and ready for eggies I am getting this Sat.
    I will try for a double, I take one and leave one for her.. and see what happens.
    [​IMG]

9. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Our Bantam laid her 1st egg a day before she turned 19 weeks old and some of our BO's laid their 1st egg between 20/21 weeks old.

10. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Wow 11 weeks [​IMG]
    So maybe mine are getting ready to soon [​IMG]
    Thanks guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by