What age, sex and breed are we

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mustangsaguaro, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I had someone send me some pics of there chickens as he bought them from someone and was told they were females. By the looks of 2 of them they have pretty pronounced combs to be females. Can anyone confirm if they are infact females? Also what breed. They aren't the best of pics but any guesses would help.

I know the black and white one is a barred rock. My guess on the red one it could be a production red and as for the brown/black I am guessing a mix of some sort. I am thinking the red and the brown/black are males due to the size of the combs. I could be wrong though.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. McGobs

McGobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    Looks to be a Barred Rock, Maybe a N.H. Red, and maybe some sort of gold laced wyandott cross? To hard to tell sex from the photos though...at least for me anyway.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    1) Appears to be a hatchery barred rock. Though the body looks a bit masculine, barred rocks are auto-sexable. This means that they can be sexed by their color. Males have larger bands of white, and females have larger bands of black in their barring. So, that should be a pullet.
    2) Appears to be a hatchery production red or New Hampshire. So far it looks feminine enough.
    3) Appears to be a black sex linked pullet.

4. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    The black one looks like a Black Star to me and the red one some sort of production red (Red Star?). The black one looks like a pullet to me, as the comb still seems pretty yellowish-pink. As for the red one, I can't really tell, but the Barred one looks like a pullet to me also. [​IMG]

5. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Thanks for the guesses. It really helped.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the barred rock is a cockerel that comb is way to red for its age
    the red one looks like a production red also appears to be a cockerel based off of the comb
    the last one could be a black sex link if so it is a pullet

ok that doesnt look like a barred rock it has more of a cuckoo pattern. i'm starting to wonder if the seller breed sex links together to try and get more sex links

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  7. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    The person who sent me these pics answered an ad I had for unsexed chicks I am selling, and I told them I would try and help them figure out what they had. Apparently he bought these birds from some lady who supposedly got them at one of the hatcheries. She was obviously selling them as pullets. I thought one or two of them looked a bit cockerelish for how there combs look at the age they are at. Another unsuspecting new chicken owner thinking they are getting females only to find out a few months down the road they have males.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    age i would guess to be around 10-12 weeks...at 13-15 weeks the hackles and saddles on the 2 with the red combs will start to develop into cockerel hackles (long slender and pointed) by 20 weeks it should be fairly clear on which ones are cockerels and which are pullets based on saddle and hackle development.

9. I'm the one who sent the photos (taken quickly - obviously) to MustangSaguaro - thanks for posting them! And thanks to everyone who volunteered answers!

So two of you say "pullets" and one says "cockerels." I'm hoping that the majority are correct! Here's a better shot of their heads:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by