1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age should a cockeral crow?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenPeep, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Just wondering.
    My 5 week old buddy just tried it for the first time. Lots of work to do!! [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    All of mine have started crowing around that age. If you can call it crowing, right? [​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Ok good! I thought he was an early bird!
    Hmmmm, maybe i'd call it screaming. [​IMG]

4. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

This spring I had a Buff Brahma 'pullet' crow once at 5 weeks. Luckily he did not start in earnest until 16 weeks. The EE roo started at 9 weeks and has been steady crowing ever since.

5. juliaronan

juliaronan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Locust Grove
    Wow! Maybe I do actually have all hens then! My youngsters are at 8 weeks and no one has attempted to crow yet. Hoping....

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I have 13 roosters right now and only the 1 yr old Aussi, and my 6 month old brown leghorn and my 6 month old silver leghorn are crowing. The rest range from 6 month to a year in age and haven't made a sound yet(since there are more dominant roos about).

Only ones I ever had crowing as early as 6 weeks were my Old English Games.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Most of mine have crowed for their first time between 16-17 weeks of age. I did have one who crowed at 9 weeks and it was the most pathetic sound I've ever heard - I thought one of the hens was chocking until I looked down and realized who was making that odd sound. Right now I have a 17-weeker who hasn't attempted it yet (perhaps he saw what happened to his brother at 9 weeks and decided he wasn't going to make THAT mistake).

8. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    My latest crower has been an 11 wk old LB/Bo cross. He crowed for the first time a couple days ago. I think Light Brahma's crow a little later.

9. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I wonder this as well..........Ive got 12 week old chickens- the one that is most verbal sounds like a duck [​IMG] hoping that is not a sign of a rooster!!

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a 7 month old Cochin cockerel who still has yet to crow. But the ladies love him anyway [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by