What age should chickies start getting treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by erinszoo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    My BR chicks are now 8 weeks old and we have been giving them grass since they were about two weeks old. This week we have tried cantalope, strawberries, and tomatoes as well but they aren't eating them. They will peck at it but then they just ignore it and we end up with flies. The last time we had chickens they used to eat all of our vegie scraps and fruits with relish. Are my birds just not old enough to be getting these kinds of foods this time or did I end up with picky eaters?

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

they are probably gourging in the AM on regular feed.

Try the treats first thing in the morning then give them regular food. Mine will eat with gusto. Just make sure you don't put down alot for them right now, as they aren't going to eat nearly as much now as they will when full grown. Moderation [​IMG]

some chickens do have their preferences for what they like. but usually watermelon, cantelope, and tomatoes are super big hits.

My chicks eat it from an early age (2-3 weeks when I put them in a bigger brooder I introduce fresh fruit/veggies) - keep trying a bit of stuff and see what they like. I bet they are like mine are and fill their gullets in the AM with feed and then just nibble most of the day afterwards. they've probably also @ 8 weeks, have an aquired taste for the feed right now as well.

good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by