1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What age should they start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have 2 red sex links, a black sex link and a speckled sussex pullet. We got them a few weeks before Easter (2011), so they are about 4 months old. I was wondering, what age shoutd they start laying?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Not soon enough!!!!

My oldest three were hatched March 9th and no eggs yet. I don't expect any from the dark brahma, but the EE and RIR can hurry up!

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    My Little ladies came home on march 17th. AND I got my first egg TODAY [​IMG]

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    what breed are they and how old were they when you got them?
    Quote:

5. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My leghorns started laying at 18 weeks. My Hedemoras were 21 and 22 weeks old. My Yocohamas were 26 to 28 weeks old when they started laying. I have some Isbars and EEs, and I have been told they can start around 20 weeks.

6. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I have a mix BSL GSL Aracannas and White leghorns 16 to 18 weeks The leghorns are the oldest and It came from one of them they might even be 19 weeks old because they were a little bigger when I got them. good luck

7. driehuis

driehuis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    My White Leghorns (4 of them) all started laying at 16.5 weeks and all have laid almost every day since then. I got my first EE egg at exactly 19 weeks and the second one started laying at 20 weeks. The first Buff Orpington egg was at a couple days over 20 weeks. Still waiting on quite a few of my 16 hens to start laying. At 20.5 weeks, I am positive I have 7 laying.

8. woodchips

woodchips Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Jackson ga. use
    i have 12 pullits hatch feb. 19 no eggs yet.

9. cajunchic

cajunchic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Does anyone know "about" when bar rocks usually start laying?

10. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I just got my first egg from one of my black sexlinks today!!! It's big!! A lot bigger than the ones buffy the brahma lays.

The sexlinks are about 5 months old, maybe a tad less. I got them from the feed store a couple days after valentines day. I'm guessing they were a few days old then.

I figured they would lay soon, their combs and faces are very red, plus they became very friendly. My other ones became friendly when it was time for them to lay as well. THey aren't unfriendly as a rule but for some reason they become seriously underfoot when it's close to time to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by