What age should you enter your chickens in poultry shows?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ivy061, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    [​IMG] Please forgive me for being a novice at chicken showing. Sadly, I recently lost all but two of my 4-H exhibition flock and my younger brother lost all of his 4-H chickens. We've decided to buy some more however, we don't know if we should get pullets or chicks.
    The show is in early February and they don't have any age restrictions in the rules. What age should they be if I want to do moderately well at the exhibition?

(Also, what breeders sell chicks at this time of year? Too cold to ship right?)

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I don't like to show my birds until they are at least 9 months old, even then, the males in my breed aren't developed enough to go against the full grown cocks. The pullets are fairly well developed at that point though. It's just good practice for them.

What breeds are you interested in showing? Largefowl? Bantam?

Sorry about your flock...

3. Ivy061

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Standards. Do you know a hatchery that ships chicks this time of year or will have to get hatching eggs?

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I am unsure of any hatcheries. Are you wanting birds for showmanship or for showing according to the SOP?

If you're going for hatchery stock, I'm sure there are farms nearby that have point-of-lay pullets for sale.

5. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Ideal Poultry is the only hatchery that I know of shipping this time of year. Their website is www.Idealpoultry.com

I ordered from them in October and got happy healthy chicks and I have an order arriving on Dec. 2nd.

I won Grand Champion of our state 2x in a row with Ideal's Black Australorps! [​IMG]

However, if your show is in February, you may need some young adult birds.

Best of luck! [​IMG]

6. Indiana farm chick

Indiana farm chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Wawaka, Indiana
    Many hatcheries sell chicks year-round. Google chicken hatcheries and check some out. I don't want to promote any certain hatchery here. But, your best bet at this point really is to find a breeder in your area. Your 4-H chicken project leader could help. IMHO, you are too close to show date to get chicks. Good luck, and sorry about your flock [​IMG]

7. Ivy061

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Ok, I guess I'll have to work with my what I have left for the show.
    (I have a 7 month Delaware pullet and a 5 month Speckled Sussex pullet left)
    I did place an order with Ideal though for some Barred Rocks to replace the ones I lost.
    I can't wait for them to arrive! [​IMG]

8. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:[​IMG] More funny ironic, maybe that will teach me not to brag on where I get my chicks - I emailed Ideal Sunday night and tried to add 5 barred rock pullets, but was told that they were all sold out! [​IMG]

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Does it matter then if the hen's legs and beak are bleached out from laying? It's weird seeing a fresh yellow legged pullet next to an older pullet or hen that doesn't have that fresh look.

10. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Does it matter then if the hen's legs and beak are bleached out from laying? It's weird seeing a fresh yellow legged pullet next to an older pullet or hen that doesn't have that fresh look.

I've always felt judges expected yellow legs in a pullet, they are more forgiving with hens.....bleaching is expected in a older bird that's in heavy production. It happens to me with my cochins, I hate when my pullets lay early, it definitely takes a toll on those yellow legs and beaks!

Shari​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by