what age to add oyster shells to their diet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adorable, Oct 27, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I did buy some older hens from a gentlemen. The nest day when i did get some eggs. I was shocked at some of the eggs , some were broken in the nest. SOme was almost broken just by picking them up. I even found some with no shells on them. I started to add the oyster shells in their food. HOw long dose it take for them to be normal again.

2. Bill in Hamlet

Bill in Hamlet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamlet,NC
    I would put some Oyster shell in a cup and place it next to their food. This allows them to pick and choose how much and how frequently they need it. They are pretty smart when it comes to their dietary needs.

Fair Winds,

Bill

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Regular laying pellets contain the calcium the hens need for normal eggs. Since you've already bought the oyster shells you can give it to them free choice, but there was really no reason to buy it if you are feeding a quality feed. saladin

4. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Immediately. They'll eat it if they want. They naturally pick up all sorts, like little stones and things, to aid their digestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by