what age to find homes for roo chicks? UPDATE: sold in just 36 hrs!

I'm not sure whether I actually want to keep any of them, although I would like to hold onto Peep the runt (and crowing fool!) and one other, for now, in case I change my mind
tongue.png

Julie, I'm in Uxbridge, not quite an hour north of Toronto -- want one?
smile.png

Is it possible that the quality of the birds at the two sales being discussed is different?

Thanks for the input, any additional comments welcome,

Pat

Quote:
Don't know, but I did go to an auction at Woodstock, and the birds there were going cheap, only b/c it was a major snowstorm, and no one was there. But it still was more than $5 for a roo. maybe I just live in the wrong part of Ontario, (although the sales I went to were a fair drive from me.)
idunno.gif

hi guys, new here. I find it nearly impossible to find homes for our Roos. You can't even give them away. The younger they are, the easier they bond with their new families though. I have two adorable (I mean it, really cute!) porcelian belgain bearded d'uccle cockerals with award winning parents and I can't get anyone to buy them. It's hard when some areas have restrictions. Plus most people want eggs. Good luck!!

Im about 1.5 hours south of Toronto. Thanks I don't need a roo but since I see some fellow Ontarians here I do have or will have some bantam eggs that I would be willing to give away if anyone is interested.

Quote:
LOL - yeah, well, the other two breeds I got in my chick order were Sussex and Chanteclers, for exactly that reason
wink.png

If I can't find anyone who genuinely wants a campine roo I have no problem making soup in small quantites. I'd rather see them go to someone's farm or backyard, tho.

Pat

Pat, I put up a sign at the library branch and the post office and they were promised the same day to a farm (not stew pot) home. I thought I'd really have trouble finding homes for them in this area. Many, many peeps around here have commercial chicken houses and are therefore forbidden by the poultry companies from having backyard chickens. Turns out I was wrong. I'm still getting calls because I haven't been back to the library to take my sign down yet.

Boy did I ever luck out. I put a notice about 'em on the Canadian MSN group, and 36 hrs later all 4 male campines were sold and hitting the road.

I asked, and got, $5 apiece (even for the one with the slightly pecked comb and our much-loved runt, Peep)... plus when the guy saw I had some chainlink fencing by the side of the road he gave me another $20 for it, even though I'd told him I'd only priced it at $6 for the garage sale in which it didn't sell. So I guess he probably felt that $5 per cockerel was a more than fair price
wink.png

It works for me, though. He'll keep one or two for breeding and the rest I assume will be run thru an auction or swap, which gives them at least a better chance at a non-soup life than they'd have had here.

I will say, I think I just got lucky on this one, though. He was really looking for a *silver* campine roo but couldn't find one, so figured that these were close enough. Otherwise I suspect it would have been rather harder to find a taker
wink.png

This has improved the chickens' standing somewhat in my DH's eyes, since $5 apiece pays off what I had spent on these chicks and their feed, and if you figure I wouldn't have gotten any money for the chainlink either if it weren't for this guy, they've also paid for the feed for the rest of the chicks to date
smile.png

I miss them though. I feel sort of bad, since I know they are not likely to have as nice living environment as they had here. OTOH, they couldn't all stay here forever. I will miss their handsome, nutty, LOUD selves when I go check the chicks this morning. Of course, I do still have the 2 campine pullets, and if I really get to missing the boy ones too much, I could get some more chicks next year... shhh, don't tell DH I said that
tongue.png

Pat

Congrats! My theory is if we can make our hubby's more appreciative of our chickens, (and in my case-other animals), it is all good. I am doing meat birds this year, and only this year. I have some barred rocks coming, and I plan to make black sexlinks with them and my RIR roo. The cockerel offspring will be dinner, and the excess pullets will be sold. As far as my goats, when they are bred, the kids will be sold also. We're not going to get rich, but if it keeps costs down, in my hubby's eyes, it's a good thing.

Again, congrats, and that was quick.

Back
Top Bottom