what age to free range a new flock

crazychickymom

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2016
Essex, Ontario
Hello all.. I am a first timer with chickens. My flock of 18 are 7 weeks old. I have no older chickens for them to learn from. At what age can I let them out of their run to "free range" Thanks in advance!

Young chickens are more vulnerable to air predators. . Crows will even feed on them...

Small amounts supervised while your outside. Would be ok.. otherwise I'd wait before letting them out all day with you not around

Hello all.. I am a first timer with chickens.  My flock of 18  are 7 weeks old.  I have no older chickens for them to learn from.  At what age can I let them out of their run to "free range"  Thanks in advance!
I am quite new to chickens so I don't know how accurate and helpful my advice is but mine are 8 weeks old and they do great outside. I don't leave them alone much yet. I'm comfortable with light supervision. It might depend on what predators are in your area.

we do have hawks around during the day.. I'm afraid that if I let them out of the run, they won't go back on their own. At night there are coyotes, fox, and raccoon's..

how would I "round them up" if I had to leave??  LOL.. such a newbie.  There is one of me and 18 of them...
I've spent so much time with mine over these 8-9 weeks that they seems curious about what I'm doing when I'm around. Probably hoping for a treat of some sort. When I'm done I slowly "herd them toward their run and have a handful of scratch waiting for them. Maybe the Creator just blessed me with amazing chickens since I'm new to this too?

Also two of mine are especially attached to me and since they tend to more or less stay as pack, where ever I go or when I come out of the house, they tend to be around me. I never knew chickens would be so easy and amazing.

I just clap my hands and say time to go in, time for bed. There are a few stragglers that require a little coaxing but that usually does it.

Back
Top Bottom