1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What age to kill Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GimmeCake, Jul 28, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Songster

May 8, 2013
    I got this evil Barred Rock Pullet that's about 8 weeks old now and I decided she's going to be of more use just by eating her. Anyway, at what age should I cook her? Also, how much meat do you think I can get out of a barred rock? Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

First, as a pullet, she'll have less meat than a male and since you don't say if she is hatchery stock, we'll assume she is. Meat? Not so much. Dressed and laying on a plate, you'd probably be really disappointed to see it'd look nothing like what you'd see under plastic at a store.

That said, it is going to take many more weeks to bring her up to a respectable "fryer" size. If you are determined to cull her for food, I'd take her while she's still tender. Shoot for 18-20 weeks or just a bit less. May 2 lbs. dressed meat.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. lizanne

lizanne Songster

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    At 8 weeks she'll be tiny!! I just had my dad process 6 - 8 week old roo's for me (they all started crowing and I can't have roosters). They were real little, but they still have enough meat to make it worth eating. What does she do that's "evil"?

4. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Start holding her, my BR are not friendly, but lay big eggs.

5. cestial225

cestial225 Chirping

Apr 8, 2013
    My barred rocks became a lot more friendly once they reached laying age. I was really surprised at how much they calmed down.

6. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Songster

May 8, 2013
    I know they calm down but this pullet is very annoying. She ran out when I was fixing the coop door, which took a bit to catch her. She also makes lots of noises when I'm around. And she also likes to put her face in front of me. I just don't like her. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'd say maybe at laying age is when she's ready. Maybe a small chicken but I've had small ones from the store, it's enough to make a few meals.

7. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mine are the flightiest birds I have, only one is friendly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by