What age to let the chicks out.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gwill23, May 28, 2010.

1. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    My chicks are a week old today (at least the first ones that hatched are). They were born and have been in here all week.

[​IMG]

Today I let them run around outside the cage with mom. Mom seemed to enjoy the extra space to scrach around. My question is at what age can I open the floor door and allow mom and the kids to go downstairs to get some air. Also, at what age can I let them out to roam around the garden or the yard? The other hens can be left in when I want to let the mom and chicks out.

Here is what the coop they are in looks like so you can get a picture.

[​IMG]
    The only difference is that window is now a door. With 3 hens sitting I couldn't get in the other way [​IMG].

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

When one of my hens hatches eggs, I let her and chicks out from day 2, in a fenced off area secure from predators. The chicks will go under mum if they get cold. Make sure the area they are in is free from predators, and adult hens can't get in.
    I allow the chicks to join the rest of the flock at around 8 weeks old.

eggsrcool.

3. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Thanks that is good information. What if I have several hens with chicks. I probably need to keep them apart for awhile? Have you even tried that?

It would be cool if all the moms would just get along and help each other out [​IMG].

4. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Update chick are now free ranging with mom during the day. 3.5 weeks old. They do fine. They fly up and down areas. I just have to watch them and keep them out of the garden.

5. gwill23

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Just an update for those newbies that come after me:

I started opening the coop for mom and the chicks to go out at 2 weeks. Then just let mom decide. Both groups started venturing out once mom found that the coop was opened. They didn't mix with the other chickens very much at first but before long mom wanted to be with the others and of course the chicks followed. Once mom lost interest I on both groups I put them all in the main coop together. By then they were all intermingling very well anyway. I also made an area were I can keep the chick feed that the big chickens can't get to. That way they have somewhere to run.

[​IMG]

Here is everyone getting along just fine [​IMG].

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Half the fun of having a hen raise her chicks is seeing them learn from her. Letting the family out as soon as you can extends this time. Only problem is making sure the chicks can return to the safety of the coop at night.

BTW gwill23--These are chickens, not great apes. Brood hens will tolerate other chicks with no problem but they won't, under normal circumstances, care for them. On the other hand I did have a hen a couple of years ago that was lame who adopted several broods. The hatching hens seemed glad to give them up. It was a sight to see with this limping hen followed by two dozen chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by