What age to limit feed vs. free choice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PDFarm, Jul 26, 2013.

1. PDFarm

PDFarm Hatching

Jul 9, 2013
    I'm wondering at what age I can begin feeding twice a day rather than leaving the feeder out all the time. I do this with my ducks and it works fine. This is my first time raising chickens. I would rather feed this way because I don't want to attract rodents. I have dual purpose (barred rocks, welsummers, and buff Orpingtons).
    Thanks

2. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I provide feed all the time. I keep the feed in the coop, so no problems with scavengers.

Chris

3. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    They should have access to Fresh Feed and Water all the time. Keep in in the coup, I do this hand have not had a problem with varmin.

4. Critterwoman

Critterwoman Chirping

Nov 12, 2012
    Sand Springs
    I am having a problem with 2 squirrels getting into the coop and eating the pellets. Any ideas how to deter them?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They don't have to have access to feed all the time, many animals do just fine with a twice daily feeding. I'd wait until they're at least a couple of months old and the crop can hold enough to sustain them several hours, and go by their behavior. If they're really starving and don't seem to be getting enough, maybe three times daily for a while longer. But they go all night without eating from hatch (if raised by a broody), so I don't see the problem with going several hours during the day also.

Critterwoman--I don't know about keeping the squirrels out except if a squirrel can get in, so can a predator. I'd say the best option is to re-think your fencing and go with something like hardware cloth.

6. PDFarm

PDFarm Hatching

Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks donrae! I'll give them a little more time, then give it it a try. My guys are going to free range when they're older which is another reason I don't think they need the feeder out all the time.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have food available 24/7. I free range once their feathered.

We have a very nice feeder my husband built that holds 100lbs of feed.

8. buckaroogirl

buckaroogirl In the Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alberta
    I usually have feed 24/7. I free range during the day. Sometimes they run out during the day but I don't feed them again till evening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: