1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age to put babies in with older girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hazel, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Hazel

Hazel New Egg

Jul 11, 2007
    Hi -

I'm new here. I have 4 girls who are about 2 years old, 2 Araucanas and 2 black sex links??? They are so much fun and so sweet. My kids adore them.

I also have 2 babies, about 3 1/2 months old, a Buff Orpington and another Araucana.

At what age can I put the babies in with my older girls? Should I try it and see what happens now or wait awhile longer?

Thank you!

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!

Your new girls should not go in with your older girls until they are close to the same size. Until then it would be good if they were close to each other separated only by wire so they can adjust without violence, so to speak. Some people put the newbies in a big cage in the coop or run or, if there's room, would divide the coop/run area with wire. Then, when they are close in size just remove the wire and let them mingle. Or, if they are in cages or a next door coop just put them on the roost in the coop you want them in at night when everybody is asleep. There will be squabbling as a new pecking order is established, but it should not be too bad.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    you're actually supposed to put em in at like 8 weeks - just old enough to protect them selves. see i messed up and put my day old americauna in with my other chickens, and she was miserable, but the other chickens were bantams and she grew much bigger and is the dominant hen. i got rid of my roosters though so now i only have 2... but still. i am gonna get a cuckoo maran chick like in a coupple days and im gonna keep her in the house for 2 months, but even so, shes gonna get bigger than the americauna, especially bigger than my 1 pound bantam

4. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My girls are spending some time together. One set is 8 weeks old another is 3 weeks. The big girls give the little girls the stink eye. We keep an eye on them and don't leave them alone. I think short sessions of exposure to each other will make it easier to mix them together when the little girls are 8 weeks old. They are also meeting up in the yard so they have plenty of space and we don't let the big girls crowd the little ones. It was a cute scene today. The big girls were cuddling in a dust bath and the little ones were a few feet away eating grass and checking out there big sisters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by