1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age to start changing feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shesham, Apr 15, 2009.

1. shesham

shesham Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    When do you switch from started feed? What is the best way to make the switch?

TIA
    shesham

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I use a starter/grower feed. When they start laying they should be switched to layer feed. This should be at about 6 months. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

3. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    It usually says on the bag that you feed when to go to the next stage of feed. I also use starter/grower all-in-one so I plan on using that until my girls beging to lay. I don't know how to switch...I haven't yet, but most people here say to mix the last of your old feed with the new stuff to gradually work them into the new stuff. Good luck to you!

4. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I use a separate starter feed and grower feed, because I also raise ducks which need to be switched to grower sooner than the chicks.

I switch my chicks from starter to grower around 10 weeks or so, whenever their bag of starter runs out. If it's a little sooner or later, no big deal.

5. shesham

Jul 22, 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong, since I have one group of chicks that is 7 weeks old I will switch to a grower feed, then wait till their laying and switch them to layer feed. I have read somewhere about mixing their feed with oatmeal so they don't grow too fast, is this true?

TIA

6. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Shesham,

You are correct. If you're using a separate starter and grower, like I do, you switch to grower, then wait until they're about to start laying (or have just started laying) and switch to layer pellets.

Cutting the feed with oatmeal is usually done to lower the protein % of the feed, but if you're using a commercially prepared formulation, and moving through the starter/grower/layer at appropriate stages, you shouldn't need to mix anything with the feed.

7. shesham

Jul 22, 2008
    Good to know. Thanks for all the helpful info.

shesham

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by