what age to switch from starter to grower to layer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by neVar, Jul 7, 2011.

1. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    well as the title says- i got 50lbs of each. my polish and houdan are on grower. the lil chick silkie (who is older then she looks she's my runt) hs been on starter. she's 6 weeks can she move over to the grower too?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    6 or 8 weeks is the usual age to switch from starter to grower, from what I've read. Around here, there is only one feed, starter/grower, for chicks up to laying age. Just be sure you don't feed layer til they are either laying or about to lay (red comb, etc.)

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

There is also Flock Raiser, which can be fed to all ages - layers down to baby chicks.

4. neVar

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    well they are all six weeks plus- so i'm mixing grower in with teh starter. mostly just giving the starter as little pippa s still SO small size wise the crumble size is huge for her on the grower! (nd well i've got like 20kg left of the starter LOL)

Pippa at almost 7 weeks
    [​IMG]

5. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Same here, heard 6-8wks. But since pippa is small and from your other post could use protein, I have in the past made a lil tray of plain yogurt..they didn't care for it so I took their food crumbs and even crushed more for them and put it in the yogurt and they gobbled it up. Just my 2cents.

6. neVar

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    been giving lots of treats- they get yogourt every few days, some left over cooked eggs, and lots of bugs- she's really (crap "HE") has really blossomed over the last 2 weeks lots of feather growth- no more bald spots!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by