what age/ weight do you cull jumbo quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yallapilko, Feb 2, 2013.

1. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi,
    I've got some 6 week old male quail that I'm going to process for meat. But, I'm wondering what age/weight you cull your meat birds - jumbo quail in particular....Should I wait a couple of weeks or even 4 more weeks bringing them to 2 and a half months as some advise?
    They don't seem fat enough to eat yet! My girls are around 300g but these guys are only 200 to 250g. They are too busy running around beating each other up.

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    How are they gonna grow more if the are running it off? My understanding is to cull them at maturity because once they become interested in the girls they will not get any bigger.

3. yallapilko

Nov 13, 2012
    Well, they have not lost weight since they started running around only gained it. And like I said, they do not seem fat enough to eat . So when do YOU cull your quail and are they jumbo quail ?

4. MrBobWhite

MrBobWhite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    paoli, indiana
    6 weeks then confine them so you can fatten them up to your desired weight.

5. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Maturity is 6 to 8 weeks. We cull them then because the males will start fighting if left together. and that is gruesome. Yes mine are Jumbo. Jumbo is 10oz up to a lb. I get mine from JMFs meat bird class. I am thrilled to say I have two 3 week hens that meet the Tatanka threads weight requirements. AND they are Goldens. [​IMG]

6. yallapilko

Nov 13, 2012
    MrBobwhite - how would you confine them ? Individually? Pairs?
    Overrunwithchickens - Do you have a specific day or weight at which you cull?

7. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    You should know that males are smaller than the females. In size and weight.

1 person likes this.
  8. yallapilko

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks MrNappy - Yes I can agree with that! My girls from the same brood are 100g heavier in some cases. What age do you cull and what weight?

9. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Never done, well i did once. Not for eating just had to, my gold got pretty beat up and i had to cull him. Didn't bother with weight.

Hopefully, i'm getting an incubator in about a week. I will start looking to cull once they are grown. Hopefully, i'll remember to weigh em.

10. yallapilko

Nov 13, 2012
    I would still love an answer to this question if anyone could give me a straight answer.
    Good luck with your new hatch MrNappy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by