What age will a young lady go broody?

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I have a little bantam cochin who I think has gone broody. She was just hatched in September. Isn't she a little young to be a momma?

Yesterday, I couldn't find her in the coop--she was actually in the nest box but she was so poofed up I thought she was one of my little cuckoo marans--anyway, I tried to pet her like I always do and she screamed at me!
ep.gif

I really didn't know a chicken could scream!

Last night when I closed up the coop, she was still in there sitting on 2 or 3 eggs. I'm assuming this means she is broody. I thought they wouldn't do this until after they were a year old.

Any tips on helping this young lady or should I try to get her to stop?
TIA

It sounds like she's gone broody!

I have one right now that was hatched last June that has gone broody.

Just be sure to put some water and feed out for her to where she can reach it, because broodies don't leave their nests to take care of themselves.

Thanks for the reply!
big_smile.png

I just thought she was a bit young to do this--not to mention she's such a little thing!

Here's Checkers
checkers1.jpg

I'll go ahead and set her up tonight with her own feed and water. I just hope everyone else doesn't bug her.

Well good to hear! I am hopeing that my little silkie hen will go broody so I can have her hatch some eggs! I would like to hatch some little silkies! Do you want her to hatch those eggs? I have heard that you need to put them in a seperate pen where they aren't allowed to sit on eggs for a couple of days until their hormones go down then they won't want to sit

My silkie went broody at 26 weeks old and just started to hatch out her chicks one hatched sunday night and one more this morning and more are peeping away

I have a serama pullet (tiny tiny class a) who was hatched out late october and just began to lay, she went broody on me a few days ago along with another serama hen (her mother) She is just coming up on 5 months old and has laid a total of about 5 eggs before the broodiness. I was amazed that she had gone broody at such a young age too, I would let your girl hatch out some eggs but be prepared just in case she doesn't make such a good mama hen, you may have to brood the chicks yourself. Sometimes it can be a major battle to break a broody and its just eaiser to let them set and get it over with. This past winter i had a broody hen who stayed broody for 4 months despite my efforts to break her of it, she still ate, drank every day.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've had young Buff Orp pullets lay for acouple weeks and go Broody. A hen will set on air, wooden eggs, golf balls, fertile or non-fertile eggs if nothing else "if" and "when" their hormones say it's Broody time!

Back
Top Bottom