what age will chicks be /full size/weight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Angiebubs, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I am wondering at what age will my chicks be full size/weight? I want them to be full size before I put them out in the coop (to prevent feral cats etc to see them as food-even though my coop is secure)

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Mine started laying at about 21 weeks or so. They still put on more weight after that point but you probably want to get them in the coop before they start laying. I put mine in the coop at about 5-6 weeks.

3. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    I've read from Byc at around 5-6 weeks when there feathers are on. My girls are 2 weeks Friday.

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have a couple that are 5 wks old and they still have a lot of growing to be full size?

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Full/size weight is around 1 year, give or take a few months depending on breed.

6. pipsqueekPDX

pipsqueekPDX Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland
    They should start laying around 5 months, maybe have some more growing to do, but they'll be mature laying hens. You shouldn't wait that long to put them outside though! They should be feathered enough at 6 weeks to put outside....if it's real cold outside, you could take your heat lamp out there for a bit and put it on at night....they should be fine huddling together at that age though.

7. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    my lil peeps aren't even one week old.! [​IMG]

8. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    mr.mc: COngrats! They grow so quickly!! (PRoud mom here) Mine are 4 & 5 wks old and last night saw the first of the "pecking order" behaviors come out. Afraid thats pointing to a couple roos in there-not sure

9. Iamjero

Iamjero Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Gonzales, La
    Quote:Im preparing for winter here in Colorado and Ive got a heat lamp, and if it gets super cold I can use it, but will it affect the chickens to have 24 hours of "daylight"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by