what age will chicks be /full size/weight?

Angiebubs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Amery, WI WI/MN border
I am wondering at what age will my chicks be full size/weight? I want them to be full size before I put them out in the coop (to prevent feral cats etc to see them as food-even though my coop is secure)

Mine started laying at about 21 weeks or so. They still put on more weight after that point but you probably want to get them in the coop before they start laying. I put mine in the coop at about 5-6 weeks.

They should start laying around 5 months, maybe have some more growing to do, but they'll be mature laying hens. You shouldn't wait that long to put them outside though! They should be feathered enough at 6 weeks to put outside....if it's real cold outside, you could take your heat lamp out there for a bit and put it on at night....they should be fine huddling together at that age though.

my lil peeps aren't even one week old.!
tongue2.gif

mr.mc: COngrats! They grow so quickly!! (PRoud mom here) Mine are 4 & 5 wks old and last night saw the first of the "pecking order" behaviors come out. Afraid thats pointing to a couple roos in there-not sure

Quote:
Im preparing for winter here in Colorado and Ive got a heat lamp, and if it gets super cold I can use it, but will it affect the chickens to have 24 hours of "daylight"?

Back
Top Bottom