What age would you add a young chicken into flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kingkav, Jan 18, 2014.

1. kingkav

kingkav Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    Norwich, uk
    Hi, very new to this just wondering at what age would u add a young chicken to the flock

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Usually you want to add a bird to a flock when they have reached the same size as the other birds. A bird that is too small is vulnerable to be picked on or bullied, and will not be able to establish themselves.

Also, adding to a flock can be tricky. Be very careful when putting a new bird in. Allow your existing flock some exposure to the bird without actually being able to touch it (large dog cage in the run, creating your own enclosure, etc). Throwing the bird in cold can have some serious risk, especially if it is only one bird. I would reference the "Managing your Flock" section of the forum for more information.

Best of luck!!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. Adding a single new bird to a flock can be very difficult. I've done it in the past, I will not do it again! Once the bird is the same size as the rest, fence of part off the run for her and give her a dog crate or similar to sleep in the coop at night. That way they can get used to seeing her but not attack her. It would be a lot easier if there were at least two or three, one is going to be hard. If you have any possible way to get a couple more her age I'd highly recommend doing so, then you can integrate them as a group. Regardless, go slow with it, take your time. I had one instance where I was trying to integrate a single new bird and they never did accept her in the coop. She was allowed to free range in the pasture with them but they would attack if she tried to roost in the coop. I tried for months to integrate, never worked. So just be prepared to take time doing it and for the possibility that it may not work. Best of luck.

4. kingkav

kingkav Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    Norwich, uk
    Well I have been to check on them in the roost this evening and they are all ok. We did add another hen in at the same time but its more grown.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by