What age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jasonvanorder, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jasonvanorder

jasonvanorder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    West Michigan
    I have 2 white leghorns that I got from FFH. They are about 4 1/2 weeks. When we got them they were the only chicks that were not sexed. When can you start to see the difference between the hens and the roos? Right now they both look almost the same but the comb and waddles on one is just slightly darker than the other. If that one turns out to be a roo it wont bother me much but he might not last long depending on if the neighbors complain or not. Thanks all

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    If you could post some pictures we may be able to assist you :) I believe leghorns are sexable at a young age, but not 100% for only a month old....

3. jasonvanorder

Feb 21, 2017
    West Michigan
    I will Try to get some pics tonight after I clean the brooder. Im leaning towards it just being a slight difference due to just being a different chick but the color has changed to just a touch darker red.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your hunch is probably correct. It's around this time that cockerels start displaying a slightly redder and more pronounced comb. Do you see more obvious wattles, too? How about the legs and feet? Cockerels may show thicker, longer legs, and slightly larger feet.

5. jasonvanorder

Feb 21, 2017
    West Michigan
    Ill have to double check the waddles tonight also. He/she doesnt like to be messed with and puts up a little fight when we pick him/her up. He/she does stand a bit taller than the other leghorn.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yeah, it sounds like it could be a male. That is a bit young but some you can pretty much tell at hatch based on posture and legs. Photos of the comb and wattles are good. Also a profile showing posture and legs can be quite helpful. They can be camera shy, but try to get it standing on its own, not with you holding it. Sometimes easier said than done.

Both of them, of course.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. jasonvanorder

Feb 21, 2017
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]
    The one on the right is the lil fella I do believe might be a roo.

[​IMG]

This one kinda shows the difference in leg size

[​IMG]

That's the best shot of the waddles he'd let me get.

8. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Looks like you might have two roo-babies :(

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, as much as I hate to say it, both male. There is no doubt about the one on the right. There isn’t any real doubt about the other either. With that body conformation an posture, it looks male.

10. jasonvanorder

Feb 21, 2017
    West Michigan
    10-4 on the double roo. As you can tell they are kinda in their ugly teenage phase.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by