what age

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Malibufarmer, May 24, 2007.

1. Malibufarmer

Malibufarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2007
    hi i have 18 chicks that a 2-5 weeks old and i want to butcher the roos. i was wondering what age i should kill them. they are RIR buff orpington mixs.

2. Redneckchick

Redneckchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Coldwater , Ms
    It'll probably be after 18-20 weeks before there's enough meat to cull them...Just my opinion

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Separate them as soon as you can and get the butcher roos onto a broiler feed, or you'll be disappointed in the results.

4. Malibufarmer

May 24, 2007
    i dont know which one are roos yet can i feed all of them broiler feed.

5. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's probably best to wait. You don't want your pullets over-growing. By about 8 weeks in age, you should notice larger combs on the roos... and then maybe bumps where the spurs will form. Split them up then... and nothing is lost if you miss a roo, or think a pullet is a roo. Just swap them back over to the right pens later if you make a mistake.

6. Malibufarmer

May 24, 2007
    half of the chicks are with the moma hen is that oky or do they grow faster in a brooder

7. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Being witht heir mom is OK. Just be sure you are not giving her layer feed and that the chicks can get at it (it's too high in calcium and will be toxic to small ones). Most people shoot for four weeks in the brooder. It can be less as long as the nighttime temperatures aren't dropping too low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by