1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ABstormyirefarm, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ABstormyirefarm

ABstormyirefarm New Egg

May 10, 2008
    Hello & I want to first say I'm glad that this site is here. I know that my question is most likely one that everyone sees way too much but I've gotta ask. We have cornish, Rhode Island red, bantam & black fry birds that we bought in February & March 2008. They haven't started laying eggs yets. Can anyone help us with why or when they will ?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Most breeds start laying around 20 weeks. Some don't start laying until closer to 30 weeks old. If you research the breeds you have you can find out what is typical for each of them and that will give you a better idea.

I have a RIR and she stared laying around 22 weeks old.

I'm not familiar with black fry birds and cornish are usually eaten.. not kept for layers. At least... that's what I hear.

3. ABstormyirefarm

ABstormyirefarm New Egg

May 10, 2008
    Hello,

Thanks for the advice. We are scratching our heads trying to figure out why we aren't getting eggs yet. We were & are hoping that the cornish hens will lay but if they don't they are going to be dinner one night because we are down to just a few roosters left to eat that we butchered. Don't know if it's just our minds playing games or not but they seemed to taste better than store bought, not to mention the savings on the grocery bill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by