1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chaos18, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    So after some convincing and giving and taking and negotiating with the wife I'm going to be getting some chickens. I had them when I was a kid but I haven't had any since than. At what age can they be placed out in the coop without a heat lamp? (part of the negotiating was no chicks):( I'm looking at getting either Buff Orpingtons or Autralorps or maybe a little of both :) although will be only starting out with 3-4 birds (for now, again part of the negotiations). Thanks for any help.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Depends on ambient temperature. By 6 weeks they can handle most temperatures. If it is in the 70s or above they're ready by 3 weeks.
    Rule of thumb is 90F the first week and 5F lower each week but that is the warm spot. They're better off if they have a warm spot and lots of cool space so they can escape the heat. They also acclimate and feather better under those conditions.
    The more chicks there are the better they can keep each other warm.
    It is much more difficult to add birds to an existing flock. Govt. recommends a minimum of 2 layers per family member.
    You'll use many more eggs when you have delicious fresh eggs in your own backyard.

My wife isn't too fond of the chickens either but she does love the eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Chaos18

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Thanks for the info. Also thanks for the suggestion on the garage brooder but I doubt the wife would be happy about that one as she is the one who parks in there.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Baby chicks in the house for 6 weeks make a remarkable amount of dust, from their dander, feathers, skin, and even poop, plus the litter. She just might prefer parking outside for a few weeks to that mess! There are a lots of us, me included, who have brooded in the house and will never do it again.

6. Chaos18

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Maybe next year I'll be able to start off with baby chicks out in the garage. This year I'm just happy to be able to have chickens at all. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by