What all goes in a run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by landonjacob, Nov 27, 2012.

1. landonjacob

landonjacob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I'm completely new to chickens, but very excited! Building my coop with a run next month, and I've done a TON of research on this website (super helpful!), but my novice chicken brain has a question...
    Does there need to be food, water, and roosting poles in the run or just in the coop? Are there any other things that should be in a run?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    My run has food, water & places to roost . I cover the top & part of the sides for winter. I think everyones set up is a little different. Good luck :)

3. landonjacob

Nov 25, 2012
    Columbia, South Carolina

Thanks! I live in the city and can only have 4 hens. So I was wondering if having food and water in the run would be overkill with that few of chickens? I think I'm definitely going to put a roost in there to given them something else to do in the run.

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Dunstable, MA
    In the nice weather I keep some food out in the run, but not if there is rain/snow in the forecast. I try to keep the food dry and, besides, my girls and roo like to stand inside their dry coop and "observe" the outside world when it is wet out. I always leave water in both the coop and the run. If there is any food left in the run when nightfall comes, I bring it into the coop nice or it attracts rodents and I would worry about that bringing disease...

5. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    I keep water in the run at all times & do feed them there but i dont keep food there overnight. Mine dont go back into the coop during the day unless they are going to lay an egg. 4 hens will go through more than you think :) but it really depends on your set up & what works best for you & the girls.

6. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -depends upon the run. We have a run (30 x 10) that includes the following: two feeders, large waterer, several roosts at different levels, and a "sandbox" for dustbathing. It is covered to shield the birds from hawks. -chickens roam the lawn when we're outdoors (which is frequently). If you have a coop/run combo for a small flock of four gals, it may be fine to provide feed and water in the coop (if they access both, regularly). I would definitely construct a small roosting place in the run. -best of luck and enjoy your chickens!

7. landonjacob

Nov 25, 2012
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Thanks everybody!
    Great info! I think I'm going to leave water in the run and have different roost and stuff for them to climb on. The run will first be on grass and I will probably add a sand box if the grass holds up. If it doesn't I'll convert the whole run to sand mix like I've seen in other runs.
    For now I won't leave food in the run. The main issue that someone brought up is attracting rodents, and while I've had no problems, since I live in the city I know of neighbors with very nice houses get overran with rats. We also have a lot smart squirrels I'm going to have to keep an eye on to make sure they don't find a way to the food.
    Thanks again everyone! I'll make sure to post picture when I finish the coop/run next month! Really appreciate your help!

8. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    just a word from experience, unless you plan to move your run around like a tractor...your grass won't survive. My first run had to be redone with a sand and gravel "floor" because once the grass is gone all I was left with was mud. Good luck with construction-can't wait to see pictures!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  9. landonjacob

Nov 25, 2012
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Thanks! It's not a tractor, so in that case, I won't plan on the grass lasting. I'm designing a detachable run for easy maintenance, so it will be easy to convert when the grass starts to go. Thanks for the heads up!

10. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    1/3 of my secured run has a permanent roof over it, that's where their only feeder and water is hung.

Chicken door to the coop is open 24 x 7 so if they want a midnight snack they can leave the coop.

I also have a 8' diameter log in the run for them to peck at and sit on.

I didn't put any roosts for the fear they would not go in the coop at night.

Edited to included: Run walls and roof covered by 1/2" hardware cloth and feeder is suspended form roof. No problems with rodents or birds "stealing" feed.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by