What all kinds of birds can you show if 4H?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Aug 8, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    hey everyone my kids are wanting to join 4h and i was just wondering what kind of birds you can show. I know you can show chickens, but what others can you show?

2. froggie71

froggie71 Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Goodness, at our 4-h fair there where chickens, ducks, guinea fowl and pigeons. I know our fair doesn't want turkeys, because the state vet has to be called in to do testing and that can get..... well difficult. So they just avoid it. I would talk to your local 4-H group and asked them. I don't know where you are located, but if you need help finding a contact google 4-H and your state. It should bring up your state's 4-H

Oh, I think this is the link you'd need.
    http://msucares.com/4h_Youth/4hindex.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  3. Faverolle

Faverolle Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    You should be able to show any and all recognized breeds. Depending the size/age of your kids you may want to find an appropriate bird that will help make showing easier. An example would be maybe a sebright, silkie, or serama for a young or small child rather then a jersey giant.

4. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Songster

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Hmmm - this is interesting. Our 4H told us that we couldn't show our chickens - only those that were purchased from Texas AM extension and those come in lots of 100? I think she said. They no longer allow chickens at our county show because of this inconvenience. We are located in Texas.

5. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    At all three of the state fairs here you can show any and all birds. Chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pegions everything. You just have to be sure to know the breed and if it is not up to standard ie has an incorrect comb it will be Dq'd but they do allow barn yard crosses [​IMG] Your local office or leader should have all the information for you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Those would be meat birds--you're judged on the weight and condition, I believe--I personally would not be at all interested in such a competition--I am a firm believer in "Chickens are our Friends, Not our Food."

Different 4H clubs are run differently--specifically ask about exhibition and showmanship. If you can't find a 4H club that caters to what you want, try to find a local poultry club.

7. kolton1999

kolton1999 In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    White leg Horns only Right? I am in 4h and I was informed the same I real don't want to do chickens if there going to be that way

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sounds like she is talking meat birds rather than birds bred for exhibition. That is typically how it is done, although I usually hear about lots of 25, not 100. But typically they are all ordered at the same time from the same hatchery so that there is no unfair advantage on size...how the child raises them is what makes the difference btween one bird and the next.

Anyways, you need to ask 4H person for your county the question, because while 4H has programs for most types of fowl, not ever county or club participates in every option.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    More likely cornish cross for meat than leghorns for production.

10. kolton1999

kolton1999 In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    I though that leg horns are for egg production but they sell only leghorns look at http://posc.tamu.edu/fertile-egg-orders/ it only has leghorns and that's were our 4h group buys our chickens from it sucks for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: