What am breed and gender are these chicks?

lambchop717

In the Brooder
May 10, 2022
I had a pair of chickens and one passed.

I got these two babies to be with the lone lady in my flock. What gender are they and what breed? They are 'barnyard mix' but maybe they resemble a particular breed to you all?

What age do you think they are?

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    969.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3
Those are super weird. They're silked 😳. So they definitely have some Silkie but to be silked they had to have Silkie on both sides but even weirder they're lacking all other Silkie traits, no dark skin, walnut comb, crest or feathered legs (one looks like it has a few stubs). I would guess both of their parents have Silkie a generation or two back. As for what they look like other than the silked feathers would be an Australorp and Cuckoo Marans. They're mixes first and foremost but those are the other influences I potentially see. @Overo Mare, look at these!!

Those are super weird. They're silked 😳. So they definitely have some Silkie but to be silked they had to have Silkie on both sides but even weirder they're lacking all other Silkie traits, no dark skin, walnut comb, crest or feathered legs (one looks like it has a few stubs). I would guess both of their parents have Silkie a generation or two back. As for what they look like other than the silked feathers would be an Australorp and Cuckoo Marans. They're mixes first and foremost but those are the other influences I potentially see. @Overo Mare, look at these!!
What on earth....

Aren't Hedemora a landrace breed? Could they potentially be Hedemoras? I know, I know - don't look at a horse and think zebra. I just don't see how they would be silked and not carry any other Silkie traits.

Fascinating! Thank you so much!! Is that what's 'wrong' with their little tail feathers? They are rather fluffy/fuzzy!

What on earth....

Aren't Hedemora a landrace breed? Could they potentially be Hedemoras? I know, I know - don't look at a horse and think zebra. I just don't see how they would be silked and not carry any other Silkie traits.
Ooh didn't even think of them. I don't believe they're barred though or at least have never seen any pictures of any with this trait. I also doubt someone could stumble upon some Hedemora as "barnyard mixes".😳 I would be curious if they could at least be part Hedemora though. OP, any idea what the parent flock was or possible parents? :) No matter what they are, they're special little birds.

Fascinating! Thank you so much!! Is that what's 'wrong' with their little tail feathers? They are rather fluffy/fuzzy!
Yes! Their feathers lack barbules leading to this appearance! It's a trait typically only seen in Silkies or Silkie mixes apart from the rare Hedemora. Very unusual to appear in birds that have the normal large fowl utilitarian body type. :)

I notice the black one does have some feathers on the feet, and the combs look a bit odd, so there are a few other traits that could have come from Silkies. I do not see crests or 5th toes or black skin (but even some first generation Silkie crosses have light skin, depending on which parent was the Silkie.)

Some Seramas are silkied too.

Showgirls have silkied feathers (but they also have the other silkie traits.)

I've seen at least one hatchery selling silkie-feathered Easter Eggers (with a mixed selection of other Silkie traits, but not all traits in each bird.)

I think Silkie ancestors on both sides, but several generations ago, is the most likely explanation.

Back
Top Bottom