What Am I? breed ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chantald, Jul 20, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

We got these two chicks with 2 other blacks as a gift from someone who had ordered 35 in a Rainbow Assortment and some of the people who wanted chicks backed out.
    The lady had NO idea what these were.. any ideas?

http://blog.momtuition.com/?p=67

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The one with more white looks very much like a light brahma mixed with something; but I don't see the feathered feet.

3. chantald

Quote:She does not have feathered feet or legs..

4. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    I'm so bad at this but...splash andalusian?? I've been looking at them a lot lately since I have 3 - 4 week old hens.

5. chantald

Quote:Wow.. never heard of those.. maybe. But the fan tailed mystery chick has more black.. I didn't see it as a chick..

It's a little frustrating, not knowing the breed.. [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Maybe the white one is a Delaware and the black one a mottled Andalusian.(?) You said it was fast so it must be a more flighty breed. Kinda looks like a Fayouma but I dont think the legs are right.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:She does not have feathered feet or legs..

Okay. I wasn't sure by looking at the pics if there was just no feathering on the feet or if it was very light. With clean legs my guess is that the light one is a delaware. Don't have a clue about the other one.

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Does the black one have black specks on her legs? And how old?

ETA: I looked again and IMO it's an Ancona...It will looked really pretty when she grows up. and from what I've read they get less black feathers after every molt. And her comb will grow and flop over to the side. We handled ours a lot because we are a bit of rebels and since we read that they are distrustful and flighty we wanted to prove that theory wrong. So, now she will still give us just a little bit of a chase but never complains when we pick her up and hold her and will put up with sitting on our laps while petting her...When she's done she just hops off and goes on her way. When I let her out to free range I still forget and close their gate and since she is at point of lay she will fuss and fuss and not leave me alone until I open it back up...Thats her way that she fliesd into the run with the big coop she's been going into.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  9. chantald

lol, I've been stalking that one all day to get a look at her legs and I can't get within 20 feet.. flightly little thing. I'll see if I can get a better look tonight when she is in the coop, without overly traumatizing her.

Just this week these two decided they were part of the "flock" and started hanging out with the big girls.. finally..

10. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Thats great I always worry when introducing a newby to the flock. I put a SL wyandotte in a couple weeks ago and now she is above the EE mutts in the pecking order. Now, Anna my Ancona just flies over the fence and takes over and doesn't let anyone mess with her not even the guys...I think she's getting ready to lay her first egg in the coop because she goes from nest box to nestbox scratching the shavings into piles. Then she comes out gets a drink and goes back to do it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by