What am I? [[BUFF HEN PICTURES]]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moochie, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Goldie is around 7 months. I'm not sure what breed she is. Also I have 2 other hens that resemble her, just that they're red not buff. Those 2 are good layers, large brown eggs and one hen is going broody I think. But I have never seen Goldie lay. Here are some pics of her. Someone please help me out! (note the very little feathering on her shanks and pea comb or rose comb, I'm not sure which it is)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    comb and feathered feet remind me of a Brahma... Buff Brahma's have black in neck feathers and tail feathers.. Maybe a Brahma X?

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I agree, her face has some Brahma influcence with that think flesh over her eyes, I can think of what thats called right now but I agree with a Brahma mix

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I'd say EE/Buff Brahma because the coloring and neck is like an EE, and the feet is like a Brahma. Also she has a brahma-face. Maybe some rock in there?

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I believe she's a Buff Brahma x Buff Orpington.

Buff Brahmas aren't actually buff, just a golden columbian - But crossing that to true Buffs will give you, theoretically, a 50/50 chance of having a buff looking bird or an incomplete Columbian, as shown. Notice her tail feathers and neck feathers still have black in them. A buff Orpington is basically like this, but with the dun allele to dilute the black coloring.

Also, the pea comb explains it, and her body is too production-type for her to be part Cochin.

There's no EE in there, gauranteed. She'd have a LOT more black pencilling on her.

7. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    removed by author

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:How do you figure there is no EE in there by the coloring ? I'm not saying there is becuase I dont see it either, but the lack of penciling doenst mean she doesnt have EE in here. You could breed a Buff Ameraucana to a Buff Orp and get a Buff EE that wouldnt have penciling.

9. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    That looks to me like a Buff Brahma mix. Notice that the feathering on her shanks isn't quite as heavy as a pure brahma, and she lacks the pencilling usually seen on Buff Brahma's necks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by