What am i doing wrong? Help needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marlene, Sep 18, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I am on my third small hatch, i only hatch max 6 at a time. Every hatch i have done i always get at least 1 egg pip at the wrong end, first hatch i done 1 piped the wrong end and after a very long time with no progress i assisted the hatch but i think i left it too long and the chick was lifeless and died 2 days later, my second hatch again 1 egg piped wrong end but i left it as i could see it was making progress and eventually it hatched out fine, i am at day 19 of my 3rd hatch today and my 1st egg has piped wrong end again.
    Why is this happening, what might i be doing wrong for this to keep happening?. I am using a brinsea octagon 20 with turning craddle, if i was turning them myself i would probably think i was not turning right or positioning them the right way but the craddle does the turning so i know its not that.
    Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    you'r turning the turner off at day 18, right? pipping at day 19... you might want to go into lockdown earlier than day 18, i've read that if you're running hot they can hatch early. I've also read that putting them into egg cartons helps to have them pip on the right side. I'm on my first hatch right now, lockdown tomorrow.

3. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have 2 brinsea octagon bators so at lockdown they get transfered, humidity and temp perfect and no turning. My 1st batch started to hatch out on day 21, the last 2 have piped at day 19 but these are silkies and i've heard they some times hatch early. My temp don't move from 37.5 which is what brinsea recommend.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you setting pointy end down?

5. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    They are layed pointy end down in egg dividers but as the turner moves they some times end up moving but i always turn them pointy end down at least once a day if they have moved.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Marlene--
    They are layed pointy end down in egg dividers but as the turner moves they some times end up moving but i always turn them pointy end down at least once a day if they have moved.

I think you found your own answer. You may not be able to avoid the pipping at the pointy end based on what your turner is doing to some of the eggs. Good hatching rate though!​

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  7. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    I tuck in a bit of paper towel so the eggs can't roll - between the end egg and the side of the tray.

8. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for the ideas, next time i will put paper down so they don't roll [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by