What am I doing wrong--no eggs from my beetles??!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cjatthefarm, Mar 16, 2012.

1. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    My beetles are different 'ages' because an egg customer gave me some to get me started, and some I had came from the worms themselves.

Anyway! I don't ave any eggs from these beetles, and many of them are 2 months old.

I put the heat bulb on them almost from the start after reading they needed warmth. I placed a towel between the red bulb & the shelves they live in to create darkness......

I even read one person saying they needed humidity---so I put a dish of water in with them.....

Still--no eggs! HELP! Please!

2. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
  3. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    .........gee, thanks.........

I'd hope to express the fact that I had searched the info.........

I had hoped to post this in the meal worm topic to get feedback on what I was doing not doing ...................

oh well

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  4. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG]Your heat lamp may be too much. But I am not sure of how you have it placed. I can tell you it is not an exact science. Everyone does it slightly different. I know this sounds odd, but I have mine in a closet not being used for anything else. I did this because it was too cold in the garage and I did not want to run ANOTHER heat lamp. I have two going for chicks now. I honestly have never seen an egg. And I thought my first few months nothing was happening. But then out of the blue a beetle explosion. I only check on them every two weeks. More if I think [​IMG]about it for fresh fruit.
    [​IMG]

Someone else may have some suggestions but honestly I had about 10 living beetles when they came in the mail. Now I must have a few hundred. When I run my hand carefully and turn the oats over there are swarms of them. I do rotate the potato's, fruit slices and bread but other than that, they sit in my dark closet and do what they do best. For humidity I have bread inside a zip lock baggie for them. I hope this helps some.

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Hope you're not doing what I did...thought I was cleaning the box by dumping out all the small dust at the bottom of the container. Discovered later that THAT'S where all the babies were! :rolleyes:

6. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I have left my powder in there and try not to disturb the oats too much. I am afraid I will mess up the eggs. That's when my husband said, " Just stick them in the closet. Yup it worked.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    And as for no eggs, you just can't see them. They are TINY and look like part of the other dusty stuff.

8. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Thanks ALL!!

I took the heat lamp off! They seemed to have slowed their movements some.

I haven't cleaned out anything; 'cept the dried up potatoes & carrots.

So, I thought in 2 months time, approximately, something--should be squirming around in there.....

Maybe I am just being impatient ......

I want these to multiply soooo much so my girls can chow down!!

Thanks everyone for 'talking' to me.

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I think you should start seeing very tiny larvae any day now. As our temps increase, you should see an explosion of activity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by