1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowboyclayt, Mar 14, 2017.

1. I just had another chick die while I was holding it! [​IMG] [​IMG] WHAT AM I DOING WRONG! I am feeding medicated feed, the temperature is perfect, and they are getting medicated water. (nutri drench, probiotics, and electrolytes) Does anybody have ANY idea what I am doing wrong? I dont want this to happen again.

I started off with 16, a couple died, the hatchery shipped me 6 more, I am now at 7 chicks.

Let me know if you need more info.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Picture of your brooder setup? Is the whole brooder the 'perfect' temp? Do they have a cool zone so they cool down if needed? How are you keeping them warm?

3. ethieandco

ethieandco Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Needville, Texas
    I am so sorry to hear that! Which feed are you using? You said medicated, is there a reason?
    What is the observed behavior before they die? Are they laying still with their mouth open, panting? Are they chirping loudly?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. I am using Purina. I am giving them the medicated feed because they had coccidiosis. They don't anymore though. I know some of them chirp loudly, but I am not sure if the ones that are loud are the ones that die. They are not panting. They gasp for breath before they die though. They will lay still before they die and sometimes they cant walk. (Like the one I just observed this morning[​IMG])

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A picture of your setup would really help.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2 Photos will be very helpful[​IMG]

@cowboyclayt I was scanning your previously started threads and it seems you been having some problems, I'm so sorry.

If you can give us more information, photos/video, we will be happy to try to help you figure out what is going on.

Can you tell us exactly how old the chicks are?

Are you still using a water nipple system? If so, are the chicks drinking from that - do you see them drinking?

You mention that they had Cocci - how did you treat? If you are relying on medicated chick starter to treat an outbreak of Cocci, that will not work. Medicated chick starter is a "preventative" that slowly allows a chick build immunity. For an outbreak or overload you would need to treat with Corid.

What type of bedding are you using - first I saw pine chips, then hay that had been stored a while (possibly moldy), then pine shavings(?)

Also how are they housed - how is the brooder set up, how big is it and what temperature is it?

This is my thoughts. If they were mine, I would buy a new bag of pine shavings. Clean out the brooder and start fresh. If the chicks are not drinking from the nipple system, do away with that and offer plain clean fresh water in a chick waterer. Dip each chicks beak in the water and let them drink. Depending on how old the chicks are, adjust the temperature to approx 85-90F - making one spot in the brooder that warm - let the rest of the brooder be cool. Make chick starter available free choice and add some chick grit free choice as well.

I can't stress how important it is for the chicks to drink water. Dehydration kills quickly.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Here isn't a picture of the brooder.
    Wyorp Rock, I have some that are 2 weeks old and some that are 1 week old.
    I am still using the nipple water system and they are drinking out of it.
    I did use corrid to treat cocci.
    I am using pine chips.
    The temp is approx. 90*.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Water and feed should be as far from the heat as possible. The water is too close and probably getting warmed by the lamp. Drinking water is one way chicks utilize to cool down. Warm water makes it more difficult for them to rid themselves of excess heat. What is the temp at the furthest point from the heat lamp? And feed should be available at all times.

1 person likes this.

9. I will do that! It is about 70* at the fathest place from the lamp.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Might want to trim down that cardboard a bit more so it's not so enclosed and holding in too much heat. They don't need to be completely enclosed like that. You just need a few inches to keep the shavings from going everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by