What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilverSage, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SilverSage

SilverSage Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    I made me one of those homemade incubators out of an old ice chest and have tried two batches of my eggs. So far nothing. I'm 10 days into batch number two and not an experienced candler, so can't say for sure, but it looks like I killed all the eggs. I would really like to figure this out before my turn comes around for some nice, purchased eggs. I don't think it's my eggs. My one broody hen had luck with them, so I think I'm doing something wrong.
    It's a forced air incubator, air temp ranges between 97 and 102. Water wiggler temp is 99 - 100. Humidity is between 30% and 40%. Any ideas?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you post some pics of your set up?

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Your spread is too wide on your temperatures, I assume you are using a water heater thermostat. Move it as close to your light bulb as you can, this will make it heat up faster and cycle faster. You will then have a difference of 1 to 2 degrees much more in line with a store bought incubator. The water wiggler registers a temp LOWER than the actual temperature. This is because the wiggler is not pressurized and can expand. Water turns heat into energy by expansion or evaporation, this in effect lowers temperature. I felt mine was too high so I tested this theory with a lab thermometer I borrowed and the temp difference was 1 to 2 degrees lower than the lab thermometer. Use a pill bottle with a solid medium (damp sand). When I did this I got a correct reading. Your incubator will also need some ventilation, eggs give off carbon dioxide and they will suffocate without some fresh air It does not take much though possibly 3 half inch holes one on the bottom 2 on the top.

4. SilverSage

Nov 14, 2008
    Thanks for the tips, WalkingWolf. I'll try. Should I have my eggs positioned right over the light as well? Right now, they are off to the side a bit. I do have air holes and a fan in there, so I don't think air circulation is a problem, just everything else [​IMG] I'll try the pill bottle and sand thing. Would dirt do as well? I'll see if I can figure out how the get pictures onto a computer and then on to here. Thanks again!

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I don't know that I would want them directly over the light bulb, they would probably get really hot there.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Do you have pics of your incubator?

Where are your eggs from? Were they shipped or local? Have you checked them to verify their fertility? Did you crack the failed eggs to see what happened?

Keep us posted! [​IMG]

7. SilverSage

Nov 14, 2008
    Quote:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    You should not have your eggs too close to the light bulb. If your space is limited you also need a shield to dissipate the heat evenly.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the eggs are too close to the light bulb they will cook instead of incubate.

You need fresh air vents to draw air in for gas exchange with the eggs. If they are closed up tight and the air is not circulating continuously with the outside air they will not grow.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ahhhhhh! Thanks Wolf.

I was having temp swings and seemed to have everything ok including the air holes so I was confused. Looks like my hot water thermostat is too far away from the bulb. I just set eggs last night so when I turn them I will move it over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by