WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

TelfTheElf

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 27, 2018
Middlesbrough, UK
Hi there
As everyone does, I started out with high hopes as to my chickens. About 1 year later my dad got livid to me about the state of the flock and forced me to get rid of them.
We then left the house for about 2 months without any chickens in it after heavily dousing it with a strong mite solution (and of course cleaning it out).

We got more chickens and I took more care of what happened to them, cleaned them out once a week, douse the house regularly with mite spray and the rest. The exact same thing happened.

Yesterday i went out to collect my eggs at about 4:30, and i saw a chicken with a great bloody mass hanging out of its rear end. i told my dad and he said we had to get rid of it, because we don't want it spreading to the rest of the flock.

Today i go out to collect eggs and notice the eggs are really bloody and there is one less chicken pecking at the corn i threw in the run for them. i check the house i and as soon as i open he door i see a dead chicken on the floor with some great black thing hanging out of its bum.

All the rest of the chickens has lost loads of feathers recently but a chicken expert friend of mine said this is usual with production chickens. He said my girls are putting so much effort into producing nice eggs that they are not bothered about feathers. I do not wholly believe this as my friends production chickens hes had for about 2-3 years are the featheriest chickens i've seen!

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
ASK AS MANY POINTED QUESTIONS AS YOU LIKE.

Thnx in advance:)
Telfer Jackson

That's a prolapse. it's not contagious, it won't spread.
1: How big is the chicken house/coop?
2: How big is the run?
3: How many birds do you have?
4: What do you feed?

So you're having chickens killed by mites? Have you checked to see if there are mites on the chickens? It is NOT normal for production chickens to lose feathers, no. They do molt like other chickens, but they have feathers. They're birds.

I checked for mites and couldnt see any.
Ok. What do you mean by this?
9F6EBD94-CDA6-4EA0-A518-008C3C550128.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom