1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhen, May 18, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I just had some Brabanters reach hatch date...all was looking great with them. soo..i took them out of the egg carton to lay them on their side to hatch. I didnt mess with them..kept humidity correct for hatching. and now 2 days after they were due to hatch i decide to check them...well..they ALL were full of liquid in their sacks and dead! Why?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    If it were a humidity problem, they the sacs would be dried and white... I dunno [​IMG] Sometimes... it just happens [​IMG] Maybe someone else with have better insight

3. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I believe the liquid in the air sac is due to humidity levels that are too high during incubation... Not enough moisture evaporation in the egg, and thus the air cell doesn't grow, and instead gets moisture build-up... Babies internally pip and drown.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:I think Redhen meant that they did have liquid in their sacs so humidity wasn't a problem... she didn't say liquid was in their air cells. I could be wrong... won't be the first time [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    There was liquid in the sacks that they are in...the chick was surrounded by fluid. [​IMG] but my humidity was only 70% at the highest point..and only for hatching time. Otherwise it was kept at 40ish...is that to high?? [​IMG]

6. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Oh, I misunderstood.
    You mean the chick was surrounded by yolk, still?
    It sounds like they were very underdeveloped. Temperature may have been too low. Don't trust just one thermometer. Either that or the temperature spiked and killed them all quite a while ago.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  7. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Adrian. Sounds like they died a while back if they are still full of liquid.

8. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    sorry [​IMG]

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Did you check the accuracy of your hygrometer or just believe it?

Have you checked the accuracy of your thermometers?

What was your ventilation like at the end?

What bator are you using?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by