1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shannon's Chix, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I got 8 porcelain d'uccle chicks last week, ordered 6 and all were fine when I got them. After 2 days I lost one, no idea why, it seemed like it had shrunk overnight but I was watching them quite a bit the day before and didn't notice any problems...
    After that I gave them a bit of yogurt and again all were acting fine. I have a rubbermaid bin brooder, a bit of acv in their water, medicated starter crumbles, no treats (except yogurt one time), they were on paper towels the first 3 days which was changed 3x a day, then switched to pine shavings. Temps have been between 90-95 degrees and they have not been huddling except occasionally to sleep, usually they are spread out running around. No drafts of predators as they are in my laundry room right now.
    So yesterday I noticed one chick who's wing feathers were not really coming in like the others, but it was acting fine so I didn't think much of it. This morning it was dead...
    This is my first batch of chicks, all others I got older and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! If you have any ideas I would appreciate the help, I don't want to lose any more!

2. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry to hear about your babys. some times you just never know, it just happens,
    give a little probotic the good bactria for there gut, you can fine it powders at TSC, since they are on med feed, they need the good bactria back in their gut.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Where did you order the chicks from? They could have had a rough trip to you maybe?

Steve in NC

4. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Quote:Wouldn't the yogurt do the same thing? Maybe I should give it every other day or so?

They came from Illinois here to Florida. I was surprised there was no heat pack in with them but still...they didn't die until 2 and 6 days later...[​IMG]

5. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Instead of ACV in the water at this point I'd put some poly-vi-sol (no iron) vitamins or electrolytes in to give them a boost. Good Luck and sorry for your losses.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Wouldn't the yogurt do the same thing? Maybe I should give it every other day or so?

They came from Illinois here to Florida. I was surprised there was no heat pack in with them but still...they didn't die until 2 and 6 days later...[​IMG]

since there was only 6 they could very well have gotten chilled in transit. At 2 days after you got them would be about right for "starve out" assuming they shipped you day olds. Sometimes when chicks are stressed they never get over it. The rest are eating well right?

Steve in NC

7. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

well chickens don't digest dairy very well and that can upset there gut

what i use is Pro-Lyte Plus by Advance it has nutrients, electrolytes and microbial which is a acidophilus, and i use put 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water, i give them this until they go out side, then i give all my chickens this 1 to 2 times a week in there water, plus on the other days i always put in ACV with mother in it

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been told that dehydration is the biggest killer of the newly-hatched. Some don't learn to drink as well as others and may need to be taught and/or droppered for a few days. The heat lamp, of course, sends the water through them very fast...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by